Os reenviamos información sobre una plaza predoctoral en el Language and Memory Control Group (BCBL- Basque Center on Cognition Brain and Language -San Sebastián, País Vasco).
La Junta Directiva de la SEPEX
- Position: PhD student
- Researcher Profile: First Stage Researcher (R1- up to the point of PhD)
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Project: Language and Memory research group, BCBL
- Location: Spain > Donostia-San Sebastián
- Research Field: Psychology > Cognition and Language
- Type of contract/Duration of Contract: 3 years
- Job Status: Full-time
- Hours per week: 35
- Starting date: June 2023
The Basque Center on Cognition Brain and Language (BCBL) in San Sebastián (Basque Country, Spain) is offering a 3-year funded PhD opportunity. The position is not linked to a specific project; the PhD student will work on research projects within the Language and Memory Control (LMC) research group research lines. Some of the main research questions we are working on at the LMC group include neurobiological basis of reading in typical and atypical populations, brain plasticity and language systems, language and memory interactions, thalamocortical contributions to language and other cognitive processes (working memory, attention, etc.), and neuroimaging methods. The LMC research team is conformed by researchers with different backgrounds (physics, engineering, linguistic related fields, neuroscience, psychology, mathematic, chemistry). We welcome background diversity, so research questions can be tackle from different complementary angles. Other research topics addressed in the LMC group are: Involvement of subcortical regions and networks on language systems, visual pathways involvement in reading, altered brain function and structure in Parkinson’s disease, neural basis of the testing effect, differences and communalities of the episodic and semantic memory systems, production versus planning in speech production, and domain-general and domain-specific neuroanatomical basis of creativity.
Job description: The selected candidate will be involved in developing and running behavioral, neuroimaging (MRI, EEG) experiments, analyzing data, and disseminating the results in scientific conferences (presentations/posters) and peer-reviewed journals. The selected candidate will also have the opportunity to develop original experiments under the supervision and guidance of the Drs. Carmen Vidaurre and Kepa Paz-Alonso.
PI and research group: candidate will form part of the Language and Memory Control research group (https://www.bcbl.eu/en/research/research-groups/language-memory-control#show) led by Dr. Kepa Paz-Alonso (firstname.lastname@example.org). The candidate will be co-supervised by Drs. Carmen Vidaurre (https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=PYYu5wQAAAAJ) and Kepa Paz-Alonso (https://www.bcbl.eu/en/conocenos/equipo/pedro-m-kepa-paz-alonso).
- CANDIDATES’ PROFILE AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Applicants should have a Master’s (or equivalent) degree in Cognitive Neuroscience, Engineering, Psychology, Linguistics, and/or related areas.
- The applicants must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Experience on experimental research.
- Programming skills (python, Matlab, R,…)
- Knowledge or Familiarity with statistics and statistical analysis
- Experience on MRI, eye tracking, EEG or MEG.
- Knowledge on human neuroanatomy.
- Experience working with special populations, such as children, older adults, patients.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Salary: 17.222€ gross/year (year 1 and 2), 18.451€ gross /year 3
Entitlements and other benefits: https://www.bcbl.eu/en/join-us/what-is-like-to-work-bcbl
Training opportunities and Career development plan:
Researchers at any stage of their career, regardless of their contractual situation, are given an opportunity for professional development and for improving their employability through access to a Personal Career Development Plan which includes:
(1) Training through individually personalized research projects under senior supervision
(2) Exchanging knowledge with the scientific community and the general public
(3) Network-wide training in theory and methods
(4) Complementary training courses
(5) Involvement in proposal writing, task coordination
(6) Development of skills for the organization of training and scientific events
- OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
- The working language at the center is English.
- The center offers initial level Spanish and Basque lessons to all new staff members.
- The interview will be conducted in English
- APPLICATION PROCESS
Deadline to apply: May 5th 2023
Submission of the application and documentation:
To submit your application, please follow this link: applying for “Predoc_IKUR_2023_LMC” and attach the following documentation:
- A curriculum vitae
- A statement outlining research interests and motivation to apply for the position
- Two letters of recommendation (Optional. You can disregard the warning in the application system:“An application without reference letters will not be evaluated”)
You can also email the supervisors if you have any questions before or after completing the submission of your application (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application process timetable:
1) Deadline for application: May 5th
2) Evaluation by committee: May 8th – May 12th
3) Interviews: May 15th-19th
4) Final decision: May 22nd
5) Feedback to all applicants: May 22nd
6) Work contract start date: June 2023
Contact details for enquiries:
Please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org (and please cc email@example.com).