Applications are invited for a full-time PhD research position (pre-doctoral grant for Formation of Researchers – Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores – antiguas FPI) in the Speech Production and Bilingualism (SPB) group at the Center of Brain and Cognition (CBC) at the Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona.
This projects aims to study how people’s choices, preferences and decisions are affected by the language in which problems are conveyed. In particular, we assess how such decisions change depending on whether information is presented in the native vs. foreign language of the decision maker. To advance this knowledge, we propose to explore two issues. First, whether language context alters the involvement of deliberative processes in emotionally neutral contexts during decision-making. To this end, we will run a series of studies in which participants will be asked to give responses to problems that are emotionally neutral but that nevertheless elicit an intuitive response. Second, we want to study whether language context exerts an effect on people’s decisions that carry real consequences.
As a PhD student you will take part in one of the projects of group, founded by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities, which is on speech comprehension in a second language. The grant is associated to the project of the “Plan Estatal de Fomento de la investigación Científica y Técnica de Excelencia: Reducing biases through foreign language use” (2018-2020).
Any development of other studies in other research fields of interest will be possible. The PhD will be supervised by Professor Albert Costa (http://www.icrea.cat/Web/ScientificStaff/Albert-Costa-Martinez-488).
– Previous experience in imaging recording and analysis (ERPs, fMRI) would be appreciated
– Motivation about the question of language production/comprehension, executive control, and/or bilingualism
– Background in cognitive neuroscience, neuroscience, and/or cognitive psychology
– Programming skills
– Good English language skills (Spanish not necessary)
Applicants from outside the EU are welcome to apply but must qualify for a valid visa.
– Duration: The position will be funded for four years
– Application date: 29/10/2018 at 15 hours
– Starting date: 1Q-2019
– Salary: depending on the Spanish Ministry conditions.
– Travel: The project may require some travel
How to apply
Applications should be submitted through the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities (link).